Why are you learning Russian?
  • works@Lingvist

Hi there!

As an author of the Russian course I'm curious to know why are you learning Russian and whether or not you are using it on a daily basis?

We all have our stories, here's a lovely story of a 74 yo woman who started learning Russian aged 56, and says it has given her a whole new life http://rbth.com/arts/literature/2016/04/22/learning-russian-has-given-me-a-whole-new-life_587093

Looking forward to your stories!

• I voted for "just for fun" but that's not totally right. I'm very interested in the literature and by the way I'm a student of french literature and the russians have done great works in literature, in my opinion russian and persian literature are thousands times better than american or english literature. So I want to read russian literature in russan, that's the most important thing for me. And it's other benefits like one more language, learning a new culture, new people and the fact that it's very beneficial for getting a better job, these are the other reasons.

• works@Lingvist

Hi @pripyatbelediyebaskani

Thanks for your reply! Who are your favourite Russian writers?

It is hard to name one favourite writer or one favourite book, but I would say that Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are my favourite authors.

If you need any book recommendations, let me know! :)

• Hello, Sabina!

I have a few different reasons. First is for fun because Russian is different from the languages I have been exposed to thus far. Second is for literature because Russian is one of the best languages for it (and because I would like to compare the translations that exist for these stories, which are so vastly different! But I know it would take me a long time to reach reading level, especially for classics). Third is that I know some Russian people and it would be fun to use it with them. I don't think I would be learning it without any of these components. I'm actually not the greatest at motivating myself.

I try to study every day. I'm currently using three different apps/websites and I will soon have a couple of books at my disposal. Being able to use it in a practical way I haven't gotten to yet, but I'm working on it. Still very much a beginner.

I'm enjoying the Lingvist course very much, so good work and nice to see you around.

• HiSabina,

I don't think my vote was accepted but the main reason is because I have Russian friends and workmates. I have also visited Russia and am interested in the culture.

I always wanted to learn a second language but never had enough motivation and practice opportunities to stick with other languages. I have been working on Russian for a while now and although I find it hard but I am still determined to learn the language.

• Once I started living in Estonia I saw and heard Russian around me as there's a large Russian speaking population and I became curious - particularly as I wasn't familiar with Cyrillic writing

• I studied Russian in college but it was (let's just say) a while ago. I never had verbal fluency but I used to be able to read a Pravda (and why can I not type Cyrillic in this form? :-)

I am enjoying the course. Now I need to figure out how to use the onscreen keyboard without getting pains in my hand. We will see.

• I speak Serbian(-Croatian) fluently (with some grammar issues), so Slavic languages aren't unfamiliar to me. Here in Germany I hear Russian almost on a daily basis and I have also some Russian and Ukrainian friends therefore the chances for actually using русский язык are definitly greater than zero.
    I find Russian grammar & orthography more complicated than the South-Slavic ones. So this journey is definitely a challenge for me. Even with quite good familiarity with "Slavic" I would need sometimes a little bit more clues on some complicated cards.
    Thank you for creating Lingvist; I find it very well made. Keep up with the good work!
    (p.s. I would be also very-very interested in Italian on an English, German or Hungarian :) basis.)

• works@Lingvist

Привет, @Andor !

Спасибо за ответ! Мне очень приятно, что тебе нравится наш курс русского!

Whenever you come across a card which could have a better explanation, feel free to let me know :)

I've also noted down your wish of an Italian course. We'll let you know once we have it!

• @Sabina:
    "Whenever you come across a card which could have a better explanation, feel free to let me know :)"

Here's a good example of one of these:

"I have nothing to do with this!"
    "я тут ни при чём!"
    (One should type in при based on the hint: attached to)

Based on my Serbian knowledge I have a quite good "guessing rate" in Russian, but here I am just looking into the void. ;) In these definitely non-trivial cases you should provide an extra expandable hint where you explain the sentence a little bit; literal translation or something like that would be a great help.

• works@Lingvist

@Andor

This is just a set expression which you have to try to memorize. "ни при чём" means "to have nothing to do with it". Literal translation is a good idea! I will give it some thought :)

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Why are you learning Russian? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.