Which answer to choose in case of synonyms?
  • This might be better in the bug section, but I wanted to post it somewhere Russian specific:

Has anyone found a russian question where two words fit, context allows for both, and no hint is given which would determine the right choice? I think once or twice I was asked to fill in a possessive adjective and I was unable to choose between eg. твоё and ваше. Maybe I missed the clue in that case. More often, I have been studying verbs of motion and been unable to choose between foot-motion verbs like ходить and transport verbs like ездить. Sometimes there is a clue (like, 'by transport'), but mostly there isn't

alt text

Am I missing something, or could this not also be идём? I only happened to screenshot this one, I think there are others with the same problem

last edited by R2D2
  • works@Lingvist

Hi @maksim!

Thank you for your comments! I'm the linguist, who created the English-Russian course.

Learning French with the app myself, I know that smaller details can get lost easily. In case of твоё and ваше, the cards have hints to make the answer more obvious (твоё - referring to a neuter noun owned by "ты", ваше - formal or plural form, referring to a neuter noun).

As for the verbs of motion, the differentiating comments are on the way (we are aiming to get them to you by the end of the year). :)

• Thanks. I’m glad it’s being fixed. That is the biggest irritation I have experienced with the course after two weeks - I have liked it otherwise.

• Hi @Sabina,

Just to add a similar question that has been bothering me in the English-Russian course. I kept getting one that said
    дом _ _ _ _ _
    and the hint was just "near".
    My knowledge of Russian is limited but I believe that all of the three words "рядом" "около" "возле" can be translated as "near" (and other such as "близко" and "недалеко" could probably also pass as "near" but the answer should be just five letters so these obviously do not work). Only "рядом" was accepted which I eventually just had to memorize for this particular question.

Although this one bothered me quite a lot, Lingvist has been fun and motivating otherwise

• @lordhajius If that was the whole question, I believe около and возле would not fit because they are prepositions- they mean "near to…" rather than just "nearby"

• @maksim Having looked up the words on Wiktionary, I surrender. You are correct, I never realized that...

• works@Lingvist

Guys, I see that you've done a great job and figured it out yourself already. I would just add some more examples which may help you understand the difference.

So, what is the difference between рядом, около and недалеко?

We can use рядом on its own in the meaning of “nearby”:
    Магазин рядом. The shop is nearby.

Около means next to, which is actually pretty close to рядом, but keep in mind that it can't stand on its own (should be followed by an object in the genitive case).

Я жду тебя около входа. I'm waiting for you at the entrance.

Недалеко means “not far” and can be used both on its own or be followed by от + genitive.

Я живу недалеко от Лондона. I live not far from London.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Which answer to choose in case of synonyms? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.