Language Game: how many languages can you guess?
works@Lingvist

Hey polyglots and gamers,

Came across a fun little language game on the Internets yesterday. Created by Lars Yencken, a language lover and ex-researcher living in Stockholm, the aim of the game is to teach us, folks, to hear the difference between different languages.

http://greatlanguagegame.com/

And if, after the end of the game, you would like to know which languages are being confused the most, Lars wrote a blog post about it.

Teaser:

There are 78 languages in this data set, and there is a group of 5 with the lowest accuracy level.

The game is fun and runs quick, as you only have 3 lives.

Do share your score below. ⬇️

That's a fun one. Two runs and both 400 points (though data is randomly chose, so there is a lot of luck in the final score). I haven't had a remotest idea how some of those languages sound like, for instance Javanese or Tamil. Now I wander how good a real language person could handle that task.

works@Lingvist

I played 3 times, 450 was my best score. 😁 Lady Luck favoured me big time.

Lady Luck

@Salla-Kälkäinen wow! Congrats, awesome result!

works@Lingvist

I played about 5 times :D 450 was my best score, too :P

5 essais -> 650 pts maximum.

works@Lingvist

@Salla-Kälkäinen, @MacDamien what's your secret? 😂

@Marina I guess the biggest "secret" is learning a language in different language groups. For example, having studied Swedish (second official language in Finland) in school, I can understand all other Scandinavian languages a bit and I can distinguish between them easily. Other thing was that I just traveled from Czech republic to Estonia by bus and making stops and learning a few basic words. Before I would not have had a clue what Polish sounds like, or tell the difference between Slavic languages, except Russian. Telling the difference between Tamil, Urdu and Bengali is just a matter of luck and learning while playing the game :D

@Marina waiting a good series with english, french, russian, polish, japanese, chinese, cantonese, vietnamese, portuguese, spannish, wich I know how they sound like. ))
I find this game fun, thank you, Marina !

last edited by MacDamien

500 on the first run. now i'm off practicing :)

Looks like your connection to Language Game: how many languages can you guess? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.