American who wants to speak french
Lingvist graduate

I finished the vocabulary section in the French section but I am still not able to speak French fluently. I would like to find a native French speaker to exchange speaking in French and English on Skype to improve my spoken French and help you with your English.

If you don't have any luck here, check out the /r/french subreddit on Reddit. There are lots of people on there willing to chat and a discord server where you can chat en masse.

Lingvist graduate

@Geoffry-Govertsen said in American who wants to speak french:

/r/french

Wow Geoffry, Thanks. I tried Reddit a long time ago and lost interest in it. It was so long ago, I had to open a new account. It looks like there is a lot of good information there. Je vous remercie. Si vous parlerais avec moi en fran├žais, je fais une compte de DISCORD dans mon nam premier, Barrett.

There's also italki. I've got language tutors for German that I found through italki, and I've made massive progress in my verbal fluency through it. (Side note thanks to Lingvist I managed to listen to an Angela Merkel speech today and understood a bunch of it)

last edited by Kyle Goetz
Lingvist graduate

Thanks for the suggestion, Kyle. I have tried iTalki in the past, but I'm too cheap to pay for a tutor. My philosophy of language learning is that there is so much free content on the internet, why pay? You do have a good point that to pay a tutor might get me to a higher level faster. I will give it some thought.

If you don't want to pay, your best bet is language exchange. There are many people like this on Skype, but I think it depends on language. I've heard it's harder to find German partners because so many Germans speak excellent English that they don't really need the language exchange in the same way learners of German do.

Looks like your connection to American who wants to speak french was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.