Why can't I see studied words in Spanish course?

Hello,
I think there is a problem in the Spanish course, because I can't see the studied words in the history. In French course I can see the words in the history.
Best regards,
Matthias

last edited by Mati W

It's one of the most popular questions asked here. Here is the official answer.

I've been waiting for like four months for this to be implemented in German. Don't hold your breath. I started making a spreadsheet of every new word I get just because this feature is missing. (I'd actually call it a bug, not a missing feature, though, since everything about it exists except the code that populates the UI that already exists for it.) It was kind of a pain in the butt not keeping a list because I thought the word list would work, and then having to not only add new words to a spreadsheet, but start backfilling old words into the spreadsheet as the reviews came up.

I've been thinking about writing a Python script that will take the word list and pull sample sentences from Wiktionary + Linguee (for German) to generate Anki cards. If I get around to it, I'll put it on Github for other LV users to use.

last edited by Kyle Goetz

I'll post it here. But FYI I have a new baby and 10 things to do just today (including flush the coolant system on my car), a holiday, before having to go back to work again tomorrow. This is probably something that will be done six months from now when I'm not up four times a night to feed the baby. I hope the word list is available on Lingvist by then. I mean if I can do this in my spare time for free instead of for my job...

@Kyle-Goetz leaving aside the fact, that such publication could upset Lingvist people (even in a legal sense), what benefits do you see from having the same word set in different SRS? As I can tell from other your posts, you (just like me) are for years in this language (particularly German) learning stuff. Don't you think, that spending on some kind of native language material style input would help you progress much faster than focusing twice as much time on the same word set?
Also, how successful you are with Anki anyway? I was using it for quite some time, but that repetition model that they are using is so strict, that I felt like it takes all my will power just not to get under the avalanche of words after a short term skip and having some rest. The thing I like about Lingvist the most, is that its repetition algorithm is much more forgiving to skips then Anki ever was. I still adding new words to Anki for the sake for a bookkeeping, but don't really do any learning there anymore.

Anki was insanely effective for my Japanese literacy (I used to live there and had a strong foundation, but lacked many important kanji in my brain).

The reason I'm doing it is because Lingvist isn't sufficient in my opinion. If I had better control over its algorithm, I'm sure it would work better. With Anki you can use a "cram" mode. You can filter by tag (for example, I might have a hundred verbs tagged separable and filter to just review how to use separable verbs). I do read native materials, I speak with natives via italki, and I even speak German with (well, at) my new daughter :)

The point of automating this + Anki is to have more input sentences that I can drill. Reading native materials works, but it's inefficient in my opinion. It's not that it doesn't work. It's that there are things that work better.

In my opinion, for vocabulary, SRS is unparalleled. But this mainly improves your reading. It doesn't help with generation. I'm hoping the Anki stuff will help me see the same words from different angles so I can generate sentences with better accuracy.

I can pick up Harry Potter and read it, but honestly I do not need to know words like Schnurrbart right now. I need to get input that focuses on certain things like prepositions, genitive case, etc. On the other hand, I can pick up a newspaper or magazine and read it. But same deal. For my purposes, what is most important for German right now is improving my verbal fluency and increasing my vocab with the most important words because my primary focus is on raising my daughter speaking German. (Don't worry, I've done enough research on this topic to know I'm not messing her up since I'm not a native speaker).

I noticed my Lingvist percentages went up when I started writing the words down and copying a few sentences from Linguee for each word. I got a better handle how and where you can, for example, use gegen.

Also don't forget that Lingvist only presents information in one way: German sentence with English word you need to translate. A better way (and one I did with Anki with great success to cram 600 Chinese words before a vacation in Taiwan) was to have the Chinese with pictures on the reverse side.

Everyone works differently with languages. I work best with Anki that I can fine tune myself + speaking with natives as much as possible. Lingvist's biggest plus for me is that I don't have to build the word list with sample sentences myself.

Also, for what it's worth, as an attorney for a tech company, I have zero concerns that what I'm doing might run afoul of copyright law :) For one thing, a collection of words based on frequency in German is likely not copyrightable. For another, creating a list of those words with novel sample sentences is almost without question fair use. Either way, I'm not infringing on copyright by taking the words I've been exposed to via Lingvist and making my own sentences. :)

@Kyle-Goetz with all due respect, I don't know what kind of attorney are youm that you don't see how thing even possibly can go south who violates service's TOS that explicitly prohibits such kind of activity:

You must not reproduce, redistribute, sell, rent, sublicense, publicly display, publicly perform, make available, modify, transmit or otherwise exploit Service Content outside the Services, whether commercially or not.

You must not conduct any systematic or automated data collection activities (including without limitation scraping, data mining, data extraction and data harvesting) on or in relation to the Services without our express written consent.

It is debatable whether or not that word set might be considered as an intellectual property or just a bunch of letters that someone obtained buy shuffling them for an extended period of time. As that set is a result of Lingvist's work an has added value as a frequency list created by proprietary algorithm (you wouldn't want it if it had no additional value, right?), I would not be so sure about it's copyright-free nature.

Anyway, as you already know, I'm not affiliated with Lingivst in any way and have zero idea about their reaction. I'm just too tired today to convince someone on the internet of anything. It was just a friendly reminder, that's all. If you are going to break some rules or walk on the edge of that, there is no need to tell the world about it. Just sayin'.

You asked about copyright law. TOS isn't copyright law, it's contract law. The TOS definition of "Service Content" is vague and likely doesn't include "list of 4,000 common German words." Also, if it did, then the TOS also prohibits taking any notes at all. Which would be sort of ridiculous for a site purporting to teach a language to do, so I suppose that's not what their TOS is meant to say.

Also, you're coming across passive aggressive and rude. And I've seen you be very rude to other people on this forum before. I'm done engaging with you.

Also to make the offer again, if anyone at Lingvist wants, I will fix the word list feature for you for free if you let me. Without the word list, the service inadequately teaches the language in my opinion as someone who has learned three other languages in adulthood. I'm only making this spreadsheet list because the feature is broken on the site. I'd much rather not waste my time making the list spreadsheet. I was doing 50 cards in 7 minutes before making my own spreadsheet, and now it takes 11 minutes after starting it. That's over 50% more time spent just because the word list feature is broken. I would kill to have it fixed and save myself a lot of time.

OK dev_temp I had some time to think about what you said, and I've cooled off. I have to remind myself that not everyone here is a native English speaker, so it's possible you weren't trying to be as offensive as you came across. If a native speaker had written that first sentence of your post ("I don't know what kind of attorney are youm [sic] that you don't see . . . "), it would mean he was calling me incompetent. But I'm sure you didn't mean it that way. But that's why I got so angry so fast with you. I'm sorry for not remembering you're not a native English speaker and being more forgiving.

Friends?

at the risk of being misunderstood i have this comment :)
@Kyle-Goetz appreciate your offer & that you apologize. not being stubborn might come in handy with kids :)
@dev_temp just wanted to say that i didn't think you were being offensive. i got the feeling that you were trying to be helpful.

Hi everyone, well I do not know for you but in my case I can access the list of the words I have been learning for the course Russian via English, but only on my computer.

Cheers.

@Rémi-Garcia yep, it's one of the recent breaking news. And this is one of the topics, that surprisingly wasn't closed due to that update. What portion of your learned words are you able to see in that list?

Looks like your connection to Why can't I see studied words in Spanish course? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.