Where can I see learned words?

It would be awesome if there was a part where we can see the words that we have already learnt.

last edited by Marina

You can see it under "Vocabulary" on the Dashboard. There is a button "view".
If you klick there you can see the words you've learned until now. I hope I could help.
Greetings from Germany.

Yep, that's an intended way to get to the learned words list.But don't be disappointed if you would find only empty list there, as currently this feature works only for certain courses. Lingivst people are aware of this issue, and will fix it some day, maybe. Just don't hold your breath for it.

As a developer, I fail to understand what the challenge with this page is exactly. You have all the data in your system already. Where is the challenge in generating the same list for an arbitrary language selection?

Also, it doesn't even paginate correctly on the languages it does work for. For French, I have a short list of words with "0 words in total (0 today)" on top, and no pagination links - despite my vocabulary size being reported in the side panel as 61.

Hey Lingvist, you've got @William-Wenge-Murphy with expertise sufficient to fail in understanding what's taking you so long in getting the wordlist to work. Get him on board, he'll empty your technical debt in no time!

Well, @lee, do you have some explanation as to why it should be inordinately hard to even paginate a simple list?
Are they duplicating the data within their system just for display in this list, and can you explain why that's a good idea?

Do you have actual insights, or just useless snark?

last edited by William
works@Lingvist

Hey @lee, @William you guys are both very passionate about learning, which is great. Here, at the Lingvist office, we trust in radical candour and ask for it from our peers. When our peers ask for radical candour from us, we make an effort to phrase our feedback analytically, so we can become better at giving feedback and our peers can improve. In other words, we are trying to avoid this to happen:

Scrum
Let's radical candour the word list question!

You guys are both correct saying that:

• the word list is a much needed feature,
  • it may seem like it's been mysteriously missing for a while now.

Here's the truth about the word list:

• it actually does take us extra engineering power to implement it in the way we want (this may come as a surprise, but there are ways our data is architected, it isn't a trivial task);
  • This work has been losing priority battles during sprint plannings to other tasks.

As you may have heard, we just launched in Japan as part of Rakuten's Super English portal, and after our March launch in Taiwan, our traditional Chinese to English user base has been growing like crazy. These new markets have demanded a lot of attention, but in the coming months, we will again return focus to a number of new features.

Great to see you learning with us and welcome aboard!

last edited by Lisa-Lingvist

Thanks @Marina, very valuable insight for users if you ask me. Looks like virtual space skewed our intentions, @William, and we both came across harsher than we are. Well-said, we want a realistic response on when the word list is coming back. Radical candor is a great approach. Is there a framework we could use here, Marina?

@Marina said in Where can I see learned words?:

it actually does take us extra engineering power to implement it in the way we want (this may come as a surprise, but there are ways our data is architected, it isn't a trivial task);

I think this part puzzles IT guys the most. For an external observer, it looks like a difficult task to design the system the way it would make hard to get a word list from it. Looks more like a technical debt you are going to pay sooner or later. But, yeah, small team, big goals. You might consider getting some community help at some point.

works@Lingvist

@dev_temp good idea! How would you suggest we approach it? Shall we create a "Community tech to the rescue" group and invite learners to join?

@marina, speaking as a project manager that leads software teams, I'd advise against something like that. Far too distracting for the team. Instead, why not go the route other companies with developers have by creating a technical blog? Interested people can take part of the discussion within the comments of each post. Here are some examples:

Dropbox: https://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/
Instagram: https://engineering.instagram.com
Evernote: https://blog.evernote.com/tech/

It doesn't need to be a prominent part of the website. In fact, it shouldn't as it would scare away 99.9% of the people visiting it. But commenters like the ones in this thread would appreciate places like that.

I know I would too.

Looks like your connection to Where can I see learned words? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.