The pros of using lingvist vs other sites?
  • Hi everyone,

I recently found out about lingvist.
    Up to now I am learning spanish for some time using to different approaches:

I. Duolingo (now Babbel) for general lessons
    II. Memrise for drilling vocabulary.

Unfortunately I am already too deep in to switch to lingvist for Spanish, I presume.

Now I want to start with French. I like my two-way approach.

So here is my question:
    Why should I replace Memrise by lingvist?
    I do like the idea of using another website/app for a change, but since lingvist will cost money eventually, I really do want to know why it is better - in the end I am commiting myself to a long-term relationship ;-)

Thanks for your answers.
    Oh and btw: Feel free to replace the competitors' names in my post by DIFFERENT_WEBSITE if you don't want to advertise them.

• works@Lingvist

Hi @floeti32, thanks for opening up this discussion! While waiting for other learners to share which platforms they use and how it works for them, I wanted to ask what makes you say that you are ""too deep in [the course] to switch to Lingvist" in Spanish?

• Because I already learned quite some vocabulary.
    And all those words are sorted by the memory algorithm of the other site i use.
    If I start lingvist now I have to repeat a lot of words I already learned before.
    The placement test you offer here is nice but doesn't do the trick completely.
    And there is no option to ignore or mark words as known.

Could you admins/lingvist team members sum up some reasons?
    Thanks!

• I have used Memrise for about three years to learn Mandarin and brush up on German and Spanish.
    What I like about Memrise.
    You can ignore words.
    You can review difficult words whenever and as often as you want.
    You have a list of words that can be transferred to a word or excel document so you can study offline.
    They have a daily streak tracker.
    They have multiple courses based on topics.

What I don’t like about Memrise
    It is simply a word or phrase to drill, rarely grammar is taught.
    Different courses often contradict each other.
    Most courses are filled with errors, mistranslations and repeats.
    The courses are often unorganized. Words are often put together with little rhyme or reason not categorized by topic or experience level.
    Anyone can create a course; no quality control exists. Courses claim to be the top 1000 most common words but include a lot of unnecessary entries for advanced learners.
    Pronunciation is hit or miss based on course.

What I like about Lingvist German.
    Words are taught in sentences or phrases which teaches some grammar.
    There is pronunciation for all words and sentences.
    It introduces words based on your perceived level.

What I don’t like about Lingvist German.
    You cannot skip words for any reason.
    There is no word list to copy and study offline, preferably the entire sentence so you can study grammar as well.
    The algorithm to determine your level is inaccurate or does not adjust when you are clearly struggling with the words tested. I am on mostly every day and my percentage level keeps getting lower, mostly because I am having trouble with a group of words. I have neither the choice to ignore them or get a list of them so I can study offline.
    The ß is required but vowels with umlauts are not. Typing in ss is also acceptable instead of the ß.

• Hello floeti32,
    I am self studying the languages i am currently learning. I had come across lingvist from googling a vocabulary learning resource. I was intrigued by it's concept . However, I did not give this platform a chance because I was focused on looking for learning resources to help me on my mandarin, Chinese learning journey. I chose Memrise as one of my learning sites and it offers many courses, memes for memory and am making good progress with it. I became adventurous and made a decision to relearn a language that school had failed to teach me ... French... which was offered by lingvist. This reminded me to have a look at the site that had previously intrigued me. I have been on lingvist for a week. In my opinion Lingvist is a wonderful vocabulary learning resource, it has really good audio and reading resources selected for the different levels ( here i am using the material available to me in the French course at my total beginner level as a yard stick to form my opinion ) what is lacking in lingvist in comparison to memrise is the ability of the lingvist community to add to the teaching resources. Or Duolingos strategy of allowing its members to participate in language course incubations a strategy that has helped them grow fast. In lingvists context may be we could also contribute to it's teaching resources Eg... As we practice writing and recalling vocabulary that is available to you during a set period in a level . If we were able to make audio or written contributions of sentences using prompts then the libraries would grow organically. Another flaw is a complaint I have read communicated by people who have finished their course , they know 5000 words and feel that their speaking skills do not reflect the amount of vocabulary they can actually comprehend. Others feel that 5000 words does not equip them to fully understand the context of spoken conversations and they are interested in being able to learn after a course is finished , or have access to a higher level or advanced level up to 10,000 words . This small issue can be fixed by either the learner taking the self study initiative of practicing with other learners on other sites which have video and call capability. Or it can be solved by a horizontal exchange and cross promotion between lingvist and another platform which also offers a speaking component. I am a beta tester on a video platform for language learners. They have designed conversation prompts on it. I received mail from them that they will soon give us the beta testers an opportunity to invite other people to use the site. It is free, since they are targeting institutions and schools they have included note taking and assignment writing capability( I am happy to invite an admin or member when I have permission to do so.) So I feel using lingvist and other sites as complements to achieve my goal of language learning am not choosing either or because each site I use avidly is taking me closer to my fluency goals. I am ruthless about weeding out sites that are mediocre. To be totally honest with you ... If You are a self motivated learner and you want to learn words, fall in love with reading words and understand the building blocks of a language then Lingvist is a great choice. Irrespective of your language level. I love It !

last edited by Lorika Kodet
  • I'm using Lingvist in conjunction with Duo and Memrise - Duo's actually my main one, but I switch over to using more Lingvist for a bit if I start to feel overwhelmed. I just use Memrise to remember important/useful vocabulary. Having similar things asked across both of the main platforms has made me remember those particular things much better. I like that Lingvist offers more/better context for its words, and think overall I get better exposure to the language through Lingvist. (The audio is better over here, as well.) Though using both, I get context cues from one I don't get from the other and vice versa. I don't spend that much time studying per day, so it's totally doable. I say try out multiple platforms for a bit simultaneously until you find a routine you feel best works for you.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to The pros of using lingvist vs other sites? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.