works@Lingvist

¡Hola de nuevo!

As promised, we're back to give you the answers for the grammar challenge we posed last week! :-D

alt text

• Mi madre estaba enfermera (My mother used to be a nurse) --> WRONG: Mi madre era enfermera. Verb ser: we're classifying "my mother" as part of a professional group.
  • Eres loco (You are crazy) --> WRONG: Estás loco. Verb estar: being crazy is a personal circumstance; it has nothing to do with a person's nature.
  • ¿Estás viva? (Are you alive?) --> RIGHT. Verb estar. Just like in the previous example, being alive is a personal circumstance (whether your heart beats or not).
  • Mi abuela estaba rica y famosa (My grandmother was rich and famous) --> WRONG: Mi abuela era rica y famosa. Verb ser. "My grandmother" belongs to the rich and famous, thus, we're placing her into a specific category.
  • Soy deprimido (I am depressed) --> WRONG: Estoy deprimido. Verb estar. Just like in previous examples, being depressed is a personal circumstance.
  • El suelo está sucio (The floor is dirty) --> RIGHT. Verb estar. Dirtiness is not a natural feature of the floor, it's just a temporary condition.

Please share your questions, comments and/or ideas with us!

¡Feliz aprendizaje!

last edited by Javier