Intro to German language
  • works@Lingvist

Welcome to our German course!

I want to tell you about a few aspects of German before you dive right in.

German is spoken primarily in Germany, Austria, the majority of Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Südtirol (South Tyrol), which is a region of Italy. There are also German speaking parts in the Opole Voivodship of Poland, the eastern part of Belgium, parts of Romania, the Alsace (Elsass) region of France and parts of Denmark. Over 120 million people speak German, and it is the third most popular foreign language taught worldwide (source Wikipedia).

0_1489652902845_Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 09.25.44.png

Remember that all German nouns are always capitalized regardless of where they are in the sentence.
    The decimal points and commas are reversed when writing numbers (€1,30 or €19.000,00)

The punctuation is quite similar to English, although German uses commas more liberally than English. German quotation marks usually begin at the bottom and end the top like so: „ …”.

German has six tenses (they define the time of the action), two of which are finite tenses (ones that are formed using the main verb only) and four compound tenses (ones that are formed with the main verb and an auxiliary or helping verb).

Like English, German also has an active voice and a passive voice. The passive voice is used much more frequently in German than in English however, so it does make sense to get it down well!

German has four moods (they define the reality of the action) and three genders: Masculine, feminine and neuter. There is also a singular and a plural.
    And German also has four cases, which essentially give you an idea what role the noun plays in the sentence. Nouns, articles, adjectives and pronouns need to be declined (changed) to match the case they are used in.

This is a lot of information and don't worry about the grammar too much right now. I just wanted to give you a very brief overview of the biggest aspects and differences to English, in case you are one of those people that like to have the big overall picture.

Now, get started, have fun playing through the cards, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you are stuck, something is unclear or you simply need a few words of encouragement!

alt text

last edited by Lisa Ockinga
  • "question mark"
    I think you mean quotation mark : )

• works@Lingvist

I do indeed mean quotation marks ;-). Thanks @dingxiuwen27

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Intro to German language was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.