Could machine learning be the secret to mastering languages more quickly?
  • admins

Type “how to learn a language” into a search bar on a popular search engine and the next suggested word will be “fast”. When it comes to learning a new language, people want to be able to use their new skills right away — but how?

Learning a language is no small project. It takes time, effort, and persistence — but if that time, effort, and persistence is well spent and targeted just right, we might be able to see those coveted results more quickly than we realise.

Innovations in machine learning and AI have revolutionised language learning, making it easier and more effective than ever to start studying a language — anywhere, at anytime.

Wired’s technology news outlet Rewrite recently delved into the exciting field of machine learning and big data, taking a look at how Lingvist is using it to help people learn languages more quickly, efficiently, and effectively.

What do you think about how machine learning, AI, and adaptive learning technology are changing the way we learn language?

last edited by Jen
  • I think it helps but much depends on the algorithm and on detecting when words / phrases need to be revised. I find things go out of mind quickly if not being used.

As well, idiomatic phrases need to be given a bit more more emphasis by apps c.f. just single words, which are great to simply build vocabulary. Rarely, are things perfectly translated from one language to the other (the one I like the most is "sticks and stones" in French)

Nothing beats being in country, of course.

• I think machine learning might be used to establish similarity between words and phrases. Ideally, we should be presented with all word forms separately (all conjugations and declinations) and with frequent combinations of words. One problem is that this can quickly become tedious. So what we want is that, if a learner does well with one word form, it may be assumed they will also do well with closely related word forms and with phrases containing it. This might be possible with machine learning.

• I think will be really nice a virtual teacher with AI, to establish a real conversation with him/she, that correct you and ask you things about your pleasures to make natural the conversation. Something like film "Her"

• @Jesus-Lopez I love computer based language learning, but from my experience of living in different European countries, at some point the learner needs the experience of being immersed in the target language. While I understand, not everyone can afford to change countries when they wish to polish a new language, but a longish visit to the country of the new language is definitely a good idea, which is why the top of my wish list is now Madrid

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Could machine learning be the secret to mastering languages more quickly? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.