Why am I seeing these words - again?
  • works@Lingvist

Hey guys, we’ve been getting some questions from you about the flow of the cards, and the (re-)occurrence of some words. To answer your questions, allow us to introduce:

Drum roll

Spaced Repetition!

Question

What is Spaced Repetition?

Spaced repetition is a way to “hack your brain” to help it store the information that you want/need longer, better, and more efficiently!
    Here’s a great video on how it works (made by Osmosis, a company which offers spaced repetition courses for medical students):

When learning with Lingvist, we calculate the most optimal time for you to review vocabulary based on what you’ve already learned and how you learn. This means you won’t need to worry about reminding yourself when to review - we take care of it for you!

Why do I see a lot of repeat words/easy words that I’ve already learned all of a sudden?

This is because the optimal time to revisit material is calculated by Lingvist based on your personal interaction and learning history with the app.

In other words, if you nail a bunch of cards in a row at the beginning, then it’s likely that those cards will be presented again to you in the future as a bunch (which might seem like an unexpected “wave” of previously learned words occurring all of a sudden.) At the same time, if your recent accuracy level was low, a lot more words will enter your repeat stack and thus you may see your numbers “jump”, especially if you’ve also taken a break in your learning.

As we learn more about your individual learning style, our algorithm fine-tunes and improves with you to ensure you are learning words at the optimal time. So the more you learn (and the more repetitive your learning is), the better the algorithm adapts to you individually.

Can I know or have a sneak peek of what will be repeated?

Nope, because then your repetitions won’t be optimal!
    alt text

I'm getting a bit frustrated from all this repetition...Does it have to be this way?

It is perfectly normal to feel frustrated - it means that spaced repetition is doing its job! If, however, you feel that it's too much, explain us the details of your situation below. Would you find that learning "How to Learn" materials might be helpful?

When will new words come up? I’ve completed X number of cards and am not getting any!

You’re definitely on the right track! New words will be coming to you once the repeat stack is down to zero. You can check your repeat stack by going to My progress > Today > Words to repeat!

Can I switch off the words I find “unnecessary”?

This is not possible at the moment, but we would love to hear your thoughts. If you were able to choose the type of words you could learn, reply below to let us know how and why you would use this function!

A person typing

last edited by Marina
  • Hi there.

Actually, there is nothing bad with repeating, except, if it would not be repeating only.

From what I've seen in my account, I have 1000+ words to repeat. If I properly understood new logic, I will have new words only after repeating then all. And from practice, I haven't got a single new word in last 3-4 weeks - which is quite boring, isn't it?

My point - it would be just great to find some balance between repeating and new words. Otherwise, it's getting really boring.
    Also, it would be useful to see some advance statistics, specifically, reason for repeating - how many words appears because of errors and how many just because it's time to repeat.

• Hi. Veteran of spaced repetition here. The problem with giving you new cards when you've got 1000 to review is that your review number is going to go up up up and keep increasing, and you are not learning if your review stack is going up like that. Spaced repetition flat out doesn't work if you let reviews pile up like that. The reviews appear at optimal times for you to review them, and if you let them pile up, then you aren't reviewing them at the right time and will forget them or find recalling the meanings very, very difficult. This is why you /must/ stay up to date with your reviews. This is true of any studying, but spaced repetition makes it obvious /why/.

I noticed today that a change was rolled out that sets a goal of 80% correct reviews as a "milestone" to achieve each day (along with 100 reviews and . Try to shoot for 70–80% correct in your reviews. In my experience, this is the ideal range of correct reviews to shoot for. If you're getting less than 70% correct this suggests you're trying to learn new words too fast and aren't fully learning the ones you've already seen, and if you're getting more than 80% right, you could probably increase the number of new words you learn per day (that is to say, you could do more cards in general).

I suggest you sit down and knock out those 1000 cards and do nothing else. The next day, it should be fewer than 1000. The next day, even fewer than that. And so on and so forth until you finally get your count back under control. Because right now, with 1000 cards stacked up, you're not learning effectively, and the method Lingvist uses isn't going to produce good results. You /have/ to keep up with your reviews and study only a reasonable amount every day.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Why am I seeing these words - again? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.