German Language Errors
  • I didn't see any place where people had reported anything, so thought I'd start something in the location that seems most appropriate ("Technical troubles").

I noticed what I think are two errors (both minor, I'd call them typos):

1. "Lass uns heute im Freien Frühstücken." As "frühstücken" is a verb, I think it should be lowercase, not uppercase (contrast with the noun Frühstück, which is properly capitalized). https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/frühstücken

2. "Der President hat seinen Rücktritt angeboten." I think this should be "Präsident" instead unless "President" is also used in German as a synonym for "Präsident." https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Präsident

last edited by Kyle Goetz
  • works@Lingvist

@Kyle-Goetz Hey Kyle,
    thanks for the note! Yes, both errors are spot on and have been changed in the system. I have moved your post into the German Studio - feel free to add more, post in the Gespräche auf Deutsch, or browse through others posts. I hope you like the course thus far.

• New error spotted (I think):

"Am Naschmarkt in Wien gibt es viele ___"

I think that should be "Nachtmarkt" instead. Duden.de doesn't have an entry for Naschmarkt.

• works@Lingvist

Precisely right @maksim. If you ever get a chance to visit Vienna, go to the Naschmarkt - it's fabulous @Kyle-Goetz! ;-)

• thanks for the note!

time for a few new ones I caught (or am wrong about!)

1. "Badesalz aus dem Toten Meer soll sehr gesund sein": The Dead Sea is (das) Totes Meer. Please don't tell me I have to start worrying about inflecting proper nouns, too! ;) Will I be dem Kylen Goetzn when someone throws me a ball? XD

2. "Sandra blieb [she stayed] in Washington." : Maybe change "stayed" to "remained" instead because "to stay" could be "remain" or "be for a short period of time." I thought it would be "wohnt" (same number of letters). Just a thought—there are some cards that are ambiguous for this reason or because we've learned synonyms for the same thing (like wegen and aufgrund, synonyms that take the same case, so you have to "cheat" and see how many letters the word has to guess which one) and think it'd be nice to minimize mistakes from just not being sure which word of the ones you know is the one the card wants. I'm going to start trying to make notes of some of these. Since there is no word list available for German yet, I've just started making a list of every word I learn in my own spreadsheet, so I'll be able to start referring back and then updating here when I know for sure I'm learning a synonym of another word I've already learned via Lingvist.

• I got this not long ago:
    0_1489561799745_Screenshot_2017-03-07-21-39-02.png
    If I remember, the audio doesn't match exactly the text (the names are different).

last edited by nothing
  • works@Lingvist

@Kyle-Goetz
    Guten Morgen! I am very sorry to disappoint you, but yes, it would be 'Dem Kyler Goetz wird der Ball zugeworfen.' (although it sounds a bit awkward like that ;-). This is the dative case, more info about that in our grammar section under Dative case.

"Sandra blieb in Washington." – I agree here and changed the translation to remained.
    I added the synonym 'wegen' to the 'aufgrund' card. It works this way, but not the other way around, unfortunately. (You can't say 'Wir sind aufgrund dir hier.').

Synonyms are one of the most difficult things, I think. German in particular has so many words that mean essentially the same things but are used so often, and, thus, are very frequent. Even if you just pick your favorite to use when speaking and writing, it's necessary to understand other ones when you read them (i.e. wegen, aufgrund von, infolge von, etc.).

Keep the synonyms coming and share, even if it's just an inkling that something is confusing!

• works@Lingvist

@nothing
    Thanks for the note! I just checked and all seems to be good there in the system but I think I remember that the names were off a while ago and I already fixed them. I will wait for the next update from production and then check to see if the audio matches the sentence! :-)

• Hi Lisa,

I think In this card there is a typo 0_1489661818319_upload-00a1d127-04bd-41cf-ab39-260b98bf78f3

instead of "einen Restaurant" it should be "ein Restaurant".

Regards

• works@Lingvist

Spot on @svetken ! Fixed in the system! Thank you! :)

• New one!

"Das Werken im Garten ist ihr größtes Hobby."

The translations offered for Werken are "to work" and "to be busy," which are translations for the verb "werken" not the noun "das Werken"

I'm actually struggling to understand das Werken vs. das Werk as it is :)

last edited by Kyle Goetz
  • Hi Lisa,

0_1489958620415_upload-e48615dd-a8d9-4d6d-8ef9-46e520b33c24

I think in this card "sie" should be capitalized, as in English is written "you"

Regards

last edited by svetken
  • @Kyle-Goetz
    Hi Kyle,

From what I know so far, it is normal in German to create a noun from a verb.
    In the table below you can see the rules briefly.
    In that particular case the noun "Das Werken" is created by adding "Das" to the verb "werken".
    All nouns created according to this rule are always neuter.

0_1489959706006_upload-0225e57f-3dc3-442b-8fd4-565a34185a32

I hope that is helpful.

Regards

• Personally, I had never heard of 'Das Werken im Garten'. From googling, it seems to refer to woodwork in the garden, which doesn't tally with the translations. If it really means 'die Gartenarbeit', then it must be southern, or something.

• works@Lingvist

@svetken @maksim @Kyle-Goetz
    Thanks for bringing this up.
    Yes, let me give you a bit information on the usage of Werken.
    Das Werk, as a noun, is the work, like die Werke von Goethe (the works of Goethe) or die Werke von Bach (the words of Bach). So Werke can refer to anything from books, to music, art, etc.
    werken as a verb or das Werken as a noun are used quite often. The translation is difficult but it means to work or just to be busy with something. It usually is something hands on, such as yard work, woodworking, working in a repair shop etc. In the south of Germany and Austria werken, often gets turned into werkeln (this is actually translated on linguee as to potter about).

The example 'Das Werken im Garten ist ihr größtest Hobby.' could also be used with the synonym 'Das Arbeiten im Garten ist ihr größtest Hobby.'. Werken has a bit more of a hobby-aspect to it.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I can clarify anything else!

• Hi Lisa,

another two cards which were strange to me :

"Die Beiden versuchen zum zweiten Mal den K2 zu besteigen.",
    According to "Duden" : "Man schreibt »beide« immer klein."

Also in that card the correct word is "Das Paket".

0_1490104878347_upload-2621431a-b55b-4d53-a549-b6b3bb580e45

Regards

• works@Lingvist

Hallo @svetken, I fixed both cards. Thank you!

• New one: Das Essen war im allgemeinen gut.

I sat there wondering how you could use "allgemein" like that and inflect it that way until I read that Allgemeinen is a noun. So it should be written im Allgemeinen gut instead.

• works@Lingvist

Hallo @Kyle-Goetz , wie geht's? Thanks for pointing it out. I fixed it in the system, though I did do some research beforehand. This article is in German but explains the difficulty here quite well.
    Have a lovely Tuesday!

Views
  • Looks like your connection to German Language Errors was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.