Diacritics and capitalization for Spanish, French and German
  • works@Lingvist

Several of our motivated learners have been asking for strict diacritics, capitalization (accents or capital letters are required to be typed in, in order for the answer to be counted as correct) and uncapped characters in the guess box.

Go ahead and +1 if you find this feature valuable and let us know at which point in your learning you realised you would like to have it.

In the meantime, you can bring up the diacritics menu by clicking the icon in the bottom right corner of the card, or typing Shift+Up Arrow on your keyboard (if on desktop). Mac users can use the built-in feature of pressing and holding the letter to show diacritics.

0_1486989958730_Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 09.59.31.png

last edited by Marina Shutova
  • @Lisa-Ockinga Thank you for bringing this up to attention I hope it'll get feedback from everyone!

• I think an optional strict mode would be really helpful for me. I constantly find myself getting the accents wrong in French. I don't feel like there is the opportunity to learn proper spelling if words I misspell are not repeated.

My view of German is different. Umlauts are not just accents. The letters they go with are completely separate letters of the alphabet. I think marking should always be strict regarding umlauts. On the other hand, I prefer not having to capitalise. It would be too much of drag. An auto-capitalisation feature would be cool.

With Russian I'm not sure what the situation is. I believe Е/Ё is marked strictly, although there's a case for it not being. If I remember correctly, И/Й is marked non-strictly, which seems wrong, as they are separate letters.

• By auto-capitalisation I mean that the first letter of a noun shows up as a capital as soon as you type it, no matter whether you typed an upper or lower case letter.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Diacritics and capitalization for Spanish was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.