What happens at the end of a course?

I'm done with the French course. I hit 4806 words today. I was congratulated. I love Lingvist. I'm sure the algorithm to decide what words to show you is brilliant but once you hit the maximum number of words you cannot keep practicing as many words as you want.

My daily routine was 150 words and I wish I could keep doing this once I'm done. Now I only get 30/40 a day once the progrom thinks it's time to review them. My approach has been to come back every weekend and do the review of as many words as are in the stack.

I'm sure there must be an easy way to modify the program to show me the 150 weakest words no matter what.

A final thought: I think Lingvist is GREAT. But I would prefer if they become better at 3-4 languages than mediocre at 30 (like Duolingo). I would prefer if you kept developing the French course until there is no other place that can compete with you guys.

Imagine: Lingvist, the place where you can learn 10000 words.

@carlosquintanillaa I can't support you on that. I see this as a matter of habit, to go through those words that you already know and supposedly still remember, but it's probably not the best way to spend your spare time. The language learning doesn't ends with those 4806 words. Now, when you have gotten so far, it's a high time to read a book in French, learn some grammar or even find someone to practice with. As, no matter how sophisticated the program is, in a long run, it wouldn't give you as much, as a real-world practice. Any of the language learning systems I know (like Duolingo, RosettaStone, Pimsleur and Michel Thomas courses or even our beloved Lingvist) aims just to get one started with the language. After that, you are on your own with the big world. So you should find out your learning goals and priorities and pursue them

Thanks dev_temp. Your suggestions are very good. Actually they are part of my daily routine. But I did like having Lingvist part of it.

My routine:

a) "keep gold the tree" in Duolingo (my daily goal is 50 xps)
b) 150 words in Lingvist
c) About 20-25 minutes (Babbel; see I am willing to pay for a good product)
d) at least 30 minutes France24 everyday
e) A chapter a week from a good Grammar Book (I like French Grammar in Context by Jubb).
e) 1 hour min reading in Frech

The only component missing is speaking french. This component in particular has no interest for me.

I understand that Lingvist eventually wants to go commercial. What are you going to do with "customers" like me who after 2 1/2 months are done? You want to retain them.

@carlosquintanillaa Nice! I envy (in a good way). There is always Anki or Memrise to complement your section b. Just sayin'...

Thanks dev_temp. I will explore those alternatives.

One which I forgot to mention and I also recommend is: Readlang Web Reader. It's an extension for Chrome. Say you are reading Le Monde and you find a word that you don't know. You click on it and you get the translation. But even nicer, you can import the word (and the context, you import the sentence actually) to your own personal database. Then you go back once in a while to their website and practice the words.

@carlosquintanillaa That's a lot of work you put into it. Where do you want to go with this if speaking is not what you're interested? Last year when I was studying with Duo, I didn't care about speaking either, but then I noticed that my listening comprehension didn't improve. I realized I needed real world interaction for my brain to react quickly to verbal communication.

I recently took lessons on verbling and italki. I like both but italki is cheaper. We're talking about $6/hour cheap. Since you can afford to pay Babbel, I would suggest you pay for italki. I still can't speak much but after a month, I don't feel like a babbling idiot anymore. Now I seek out other language partners so I can speak and don't have to pay. My advice is for a month or two, pay $6-$8 a day to speak with a french tutor/teacher for an hour (different teachers each day). That's $30-$40/week = $120-$160/month. So the total cost may not be much.

Personally I have teachers for conversations and teachers specifically for pronunciation, liaisons and enchaînements (I'm already strong on grammar and vocabulary). Good luck!

last edited by Johnny Le

First I answer your question: Where do I want to go? One day, I want to read French the way I read English today (not my native language). I'm getting pretty good at it.

Second: Thanks for the suggestion about Italki and Verbling. I was recently considering Verbling. I would love to spend 2-3 hours every week chatting, but I'm horrified to get started. Will I be able to fill an hour of "conversation" with my rather limited French?

Move on from Lingvist; you already have a basic foundation laid for you and it is time to delve into speaking the language regularly, reading news, and literature etc.

If you want an app try Clozemaster that teaches you 26000 words, but it is not as polished as Lingvist.

@carlosquintanillaa Add Tandem to that list of apps. It's the best one imo.

@Turrab The only thing bad about Clozemaster is that the sentences aren't checked for accuracy.

Lingvist graduate

I was one of the few ones that finished the French course early and quick (21 hours) and I still come back here because it is part of my daily routine. Duo, Lingvist and Memrise.

I get so excited whenever there are new words added to the course and being congratulated again for finishing the course again. It used to say that I was on the 1% of the finishers, now it says I am part of the 3%, which is nice because other people are also learning a new language with this great app.

And I just saw this new screen after finishing my daily Lingvist:
0_1494226035118_screencapture-learn-lingvist-1494224413287.png

Pretty cool. Who does not like stats? ;)

And they have great support here (hi Marina!). I'll go here everyday until Lingvist does not let me anymore.

Bonne chance à tous!

I have to disagree with the people recommending Memrise. I have found it to me loaded with many errors. I have ventured there to see what options are available for beginners and intermediate folks who want to learn or continue to learn French. No offense to Memrise folks but the otions for French language are pretty bad. Many are user contributed and have incorrect audio or the images and words do not match up. I have actually found that to be the case in 4 of the options under learning French that I have found on Memrise.

Looks like your connection to What happens at the end of a course? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.