I've finished the course. Now what?

I just reached 3671 words and now: what suppose I have to do? I don't know what to do! I guess that the next steps is reading and listening. I am right? And Another question: when I can start to write and study grammar?

P.D: Again, part of this text was wrote with Google translator. I am sorry but I don't have the confidence enough to do it without him.

last edited by Marina

And now you should just enjoy your new improved skill ;-) Let's face the truth, Lingvist never promised to make somebody fluent in any language, it's just one of the tools you may to use achieve your goal. There is no silver bullet, there is no system in the world, that would teach you everything. But you have the power to combine them into your own custom system, that fits best to your needs and your personality.
Don't be disappointed, you've done a great job by finishing the course and now it's time to move on. If your course offers you reading and listening practice, you may stick around and have some more fun with Linguist. If it's not the case, you probably should check appropriate for your target language (which one is that by the way?) forums section to find out, if someone posted some links to additional resources or even ask the question there.
Basically, there are three major skills that an abstract learner would probably want to improve: reading comprehension, writing and speaking. If you would like to improve your reading and extend your vocabulary, you should probably grab a book and read. If you want to improve writing, there is lang-8 for example or find a friend on interpals and write about anything. Literally! Every smallest thing in your life is worth writing about it in the target language and it improves your skills a lot. It's more difficult with speaking this days, as lots of good services were shut down, but there are still lots of ways to find a friend to speak with. If you are not very social, even thinking about your surrounding and events in your life in your target language could give your speaking some boost.
Just define what you want to improve and find a way to improve it. Just it. It's that simple. Don't give up. It's not the end - it's just a new start! Good luck with your learning.

Thanks very much my friend! Your comments are very helpful, I want improve everything! but step by step. Once step at a time. I downloaded free books of different Editorials for three principals topics: Grammar, Vocabullary and Pronuntiation: Berlitz, English in use Collection, Oxford Grammar, etc. My principal weakness is the lack of confidence to EVERYTHING; speaking, writing and listening (Is no to much uh? hahahaha!) Your idea about combine differents methods is very interesting, can you help me?. I hope improve the three skills forty per cent to final of the year. This is my target lenguage for this year, may be is too much! May be is very little, we will see! I will be waiting your answer. Regards.

admins

@dev_temp said in And Now?:

There is no silver bullet, there is no system in the world, that would teach you everything.

Well said.

@Reinaldo-Villanueva
I would also suggest that you come back to what you've learned with Lingvist and continue to practice. As you try new ways to learn things and learn new words and phrase, the ones you learned before will still need to be "exercised" a little to see how they fit in with all the new stuff you've learned.

There are lots of great reading and listening resources out there. I would suggest giving www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/ a try for reading/listening.

Hope this helps!

last edited by Jen

@Jen said in I've finished the course. Now what?:

@dev_temp said in And Now?:

There is no silver bullet, there is no system in the world, that would teach you everything.

Well said.

Don't you even think to use that as an excuse :-P There is so much you, as a company, can do for your learners. Probably you would never be perfect, but it doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

“My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go >anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.”

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

@Reinaldo-Villanueva
So, you want it all and want it all fast... Let me put it straight, If it just was your hobby, I would advice you to put emphasis on your exposure to the language (that is a great advice in any case) by reading and listening, so you would subconsciously grasp the language. But you are telling that the language is the part of your finals and it means that you are limited in time and you didn't find your way to reach your goal so far. In this case, just to make sure you are not wasting your precious time, I would recommend you to consider adding some tutoring with a good teacher to your study. Exams usually have well-defined set of materials you are supposed to be confident with and that should be you primary focus if you plan to graduate with good marks. And a good tutor could guide you to that goal. And all other resources like this may be used just as a supplement to your main learning, in case you want to go extra mile and reinforce your basic knowledge of a language. Books, videos, podcasts, native speaking friends are great resources to improve your general level, but that might be just not the most efficient way to prepare for the finals.

Dear @dev-temp
Firstly: I never said that I wanted fast! Repeat: step by step! One step at a time ok? Secondly: Do you think that improve 40% at year is too much? My estimate is low if you think again it. Another problem is that I don't have friends native speaker. I do this self-taught because I cannot afford an Institute or tutor, On the other hand, I want to work outside my country (I am a Telecommunications Engineer) and all applications request a medium or advanced level of English, It is very embarrassing to have to admit it, but after I finished university I did not make enough effort to want to improve my level of English. But I do not want, and that is why I ask for the help of all of you. The creators of this tool are much more expert than I in the matter, and I think they could guide me better. Best regards.

works@Lingvist

Hi @Reinaldo-Villanueva,
May I just say that I find your spirit very inspiring. :)

@Reinaldo-Villanueva said in I've finished the course. Now what?:

I want to work outside my country (I am a Telecommunications Engineer) and all applications request a medium or advanced level of English,

It sounds like you know exactly what you want and that's definitely off to a great start!
May I ask: Do those jobs require any certification(for English)? e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC...etc. If they do, then may I ask if you've taken any of the tests? I believe doing so would help you have a clearer view on the path between you and your goals.

However, let's not forget that taking those tests is only one of the many steps to achieve your dreams. The BBC link Jen provided above is great! Also, I find TED a great source of improving/enhancing English skills and knowledge (about the world and perhaps in your field too!)

I'm working outside my country as well, and just like you said, I did it one step at a time ;)

Hope you find this helpful and don't forget that you can always use this forum to practice your writing as well as reading! :D

admins

@dev_temp said in I've finished the course. Now what?:

Don't you even think to use that as an excuse :-P There is so much you, as a company, can do for your learners. Probably you would never be perfect, but it doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

As a language educator myself, I say that in the sense that we should try to create as many diverse learning opportunities as possible. Our goal is to get people to learn. ;)

Thanks for your encouraging words and support. We love our community of users because you help us to make a better Lingvist for you.

admins

@joyce said in I've finished the course. Now what?:

It sounds like you know exactly what you want and that's definitely off to a great start!
May I ask: Do those jobs require any certification(for English)? e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC...etc. If they do, then may I ask if you've taken any of the tests? I believe doing so would help you have a clearer view on the path between you and your goals.

@joyce makes a good point.

I myself started learning Japanese as a teenager (I started with self-study, then was fortunate enough to study it in university too), but there was little chance for me to practice it. I eventually wanted to get a job in Japan, but I had to take some practice JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) exams before I could really get a sense of what my job chances were at that time, and how much further I had to go to get enough to land a job there.

I would suggest starting with TOEFL and/or IELTS. Read a bit about the exams, how they're made, what they test... there are some free resources out there to help you get on your way. TOEFL is also useful if you'd like to do further study at a university which has programmes for your field taught entirely in English. It's also the more dominant test in the US, whereas IELTS is more dominant in Europe and the rest of the world. TOEIC tends to be more important in Asia but is definitely also worth looking at.
Here are some links:

TOEFL:
https://www.ets.org/toefl
http://www.testpreppractice.net/TOEFL/Free-Online-TOEFL-Practice-Tests.aspx

IELTS:
https://www.ielts.org/
http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/prepare-test/free-practice-tests

TOEIC:
https://www.ets.org/toeic
http://www.toeic-online-test.com/free-toeic-tests/

Just to add to previous discussion - before deciding in favor of one or another exam... for example for me it was really unhappy discovery that IELTS, TOEFL etc. have expiration time and some organizations take it very seriously. So in order to get lifetime certificate, the Cambridge Proficiency http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/proficiency/ was the only one I found we can take here.
Is there any others, what gives life-time certificate and recognized by most organizations worldwide?
I am interested in English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian exams.

It very good to know! Thank you a lot Merx!

Just to chime in here with my thoughts. You will only get good at a skill that you practice. Lingvist essentially is a vocab teaching tool because it teaches you vocab, all you practice is vocab, and that's it.

You won't be able to speak a language unless you practice speaking it. Out loud. With people. Lingvist can't solve this without adding a video chat feature. In the meantime, look for people who want to do language exchange on Skype or go to italki and hire a tutor to work with you over video conference.

My routine currently with German is to do 150 cards with Lingvist every day. This is about thirty minutes of work. Since about mid-January I've gotten to about 75% on the "words you know" metric with that level of effort. I can read a lot more and write a long more now when I practice those skills. However, I can't speak more fluently because of Lingvist. For this I work with tutors on italki. I sit at my house on my laptop and Skype people. I can tell I'm getting more fluid and fluent, and with the vocab I get from Lingvist, I'm able to say more things. At first, I have to stop and try to recall a word, but as I use it more and more, it just comes out of my mouth when talking.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that you have to understand that what you do on Lingvist is what it will make you better at. That's vocab. There isn't some carryover where you learn vocab with Lingvist and suddenly can inflect verbs and compose complicated sentences with conjunctions. To get better in a skill, you must practice that skill. And "speaking a language" isn't one skill. It's many: reading, writing, listening, speaking. And inside there, there are sub-skills: verb inflections, noun inflections, adjective inflections, word order, vocabulary recall, etc.

Lingvist almost exclusively teaches vocabulary recall. You need other tools for other parts.

works@Lingvist

Guys, everyone who has "graduated" a course on Lingvist is invited to join the Lingvist Graduate group. You'll get a neat orange badge following you on the forum and (maybe) some extra questions from newbies. 🖖

0_1489769869722_Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 18.56.13.png

last edited by Marina

Looks like your connection to I've finished the course. Now what? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.