Improve explanation for Russian verb conjugation

Привет! :)
I was just reading the grammar tips, but I think I'm now more confused than before.
So, as examples we have the verbs читать and ждать, which both and in -ать.
Now, when looking at the conjugation читать only has the ть removed and replaced with an ending (Я читаю), while ждать has the complete ending ать removed (Я жду).
I think it should be explained why one of them looses the complete ending, and one only a part of it, as I am currently not able to discern why this happens.
Similarly, любить becomes Я люблю... now the и has become an л??
It is also not explained why one ends in ю and the other in у, although I've come to the conclusion that it is because one ends in a hard consonant (-у) and the other in a soft consonant/vowel (-ю).
Thanks for your attention c:

@DasCapschen If you're still looking for info, there's a useful list classifying different types of irregular verbs here: http://russianlearn.com/grammar/category/table_of_russian_irregular_verbs

works@Lingvist

Привет @DasCapschen !

Спасибо за хороший вопрос! :)

I understand your confusion. Our intention was to create short and clear grammar hints, but unfortunately it can be sometimes difficult or even impossible to explain grammar just in a few words. I'm glad you posted your questions!

You are right, читать and ждать both end in -ать. So how come the one drops -ть and the other one drops -ать? читать belongs to a large group of verbs which drop the -ть. Whereas ждать belongs to a group of verbs that drop -ать. Some other verbs from this group are, for example, врать (to tell lies), рвать (to tear), врать (to lie).

Why does люблю have an additional л? Second conjugation verbs with a stem ending in б, в, м, п, ф insert л in the 1st person in the present tense (ловить — ловлю (to catch)).

Your guess about -у and -ю endings was correct!

Sorry for the late reply and I hope this information helped you.

Thank you very much for your answer :)

Looks like your connection to Improve explanation for Russian verb conjugation was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.