Alternative to writing ß in German course.
  • Hi!

It would save us some time if users could write alternative letters to ß, for example ss. We can type common letters instead of umlauts (a instead of ä, o->ö, u->ü), but I didn't find a way to type an alternative to the eszett. It's a little bit time consuming to click on the "symbols" button and pick eszett manually.

• You could also use a German keyboard layout, it's quite easy to set it up and you can switch with the press of a button :)
    If you're using English keyboard (qwerty) the only important thing that changes (for this course) is Y and Z are switched.
    The ß can then be found on the button right of 0 in the number row :)
    ( ö would be right of L, ä right of ö and ü above ä)

Just saying c:

last edited by DasCapschen
  • Thank you for the suggestion!
    I do have a German keyboard layout on my own computer, and I even managed to switch Y and Z back:)
    Unfortunately this is not an option when I'm on vacation and use a computer that is also used by other family members, adding the third keyboard layout will be too much for my parents :)

• works@Lingvist

@Daniil, @maksim, @DasCapschen, perhaps this will come in handy. One of our learners has written a script which you can add to a plugin for Chrome or Firefox, enabling the $ sign to bring up the special characters menu without clicking the button. Check out the thread here and hi-five if it works for you.

Views
  • Looks like your connection to Alternative to writing ß in German course. was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.