The 2016 Year End Challenge!
admins

2016 may be almost over, but we’re here to tell you that it’s never too late! There’s still time left to make a final push to do make good on your language learning goal for 2016, and to set up a good habit for the coming year. With that in mind, we are bringing you our 2016 Year-End Challenge!

Here's how it works:

Check your stats from the last week (or your most recent stats if you're new) and commit to raising your number of cards to a certain number per day until Dec 31, 2016.

Start with a number you can realistically do and feel good about until the end of the year — If you don't have a goal number in mind, a good example to start with would be +5% of your last session. If you are at 0 or just starting out, setting a goal number of 50 is a good amount to start with to get on track.

• Commit to the challenge on the forum by posting your target language, the +% you chose, and your goals for Day 5 and Day 10.
  • Report in on Day 5 (Dec 26) and Day 10 (Dec 31) to let us know how you’re doing! If you’ve got friends and family learning with Lingvist, challenge them to do it and post it on the Forum too!

• The challenge will run from 00:00:00 GMT Dec 21, 2016- 11:59:59 GMT Dec 31, 2016. You can join the challenge after that time — in fact we encourage anyone to join at anytime!but if your goal is not only language skills but a prize, then you'll have to join by the deadline.

Early in the New Year, we’ll be randomly drawing a name from all eligible community members who participated in the challenge for some Lingvist goodies! Winners will be contacted via email for further information.

ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible to win, learners must:

• Join the challenge by publicly posting their target language, number of cards you want to do, and goals for Days 5 and 10 by 23:59:59 GMT Dec 21, 2016.

• Report in the thread with their progress for Days 5 and 10 with your results.

Note: Lingvist team members can also join in the challenge, but will not be eligible for prizes.

Let’s remember that we’re all doing this challenge together. Support and encourage each other as much as we can. If you lose motivation, the community is here to help you keep going.

Good luck and happy learning for the rest of 2016!

last edited by Jen
admins

Let's get this party started!
alt text
I'm studying Russian and I'm setting myself a goal of 150 cards a day. My stats are at 0 right now because I haven't learned in a little while, so I'm right there with those of you who are coming back after some time off, or are just starting out!

I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone progresses! Good Luck and all the best for the new year!

last edited by Jen
works@Lingvist

Ok, I'm in. Studying Spanish and my stats are also 0 (what can I say, it's been a busy December ;) ). I won't be as hard core as Jen since, well xmas is coming up, but I'll do 100 words a day. So sending a screen shot on Dec 26... VAMOS!

works@Lingvist

Game on! I'll be studying Russian from English and will be doing 100 cards per day for 10 days in a row!

Nice! I'll be studying French from English and will aim to doing 100 cards/day too!

Hello! I will be studying Russian from English. I want to do an average of 100 cards daily, reaching 500 on day 5 and 1000 on day 10. Good luck everyone!

last edited by Marco Caramori

I'm learning French from English and will try adding 75 cards each day. It will be interesting to try that with holidays and family. This is a great idea and will help us to hit the ground running next year.

works@Lingvist

Challenge accepted:)
I'm learning Spanish and will be doing 110 cards a day! @nature2energize, we're in the same boat;)

Hi,

I am learning French from English. My stats for this week are really bad with a top of 27 cards! My target is 60 cards per day for the next 10 days.

This game is a great motivation!

admins

@Maher It's not bad or good, it just is! The most important thing is that you've set a goal that you can achieve and feel good about! You can do it!
YOU CAN DO IT!

Hi, I'm learning Russian from English.
My average this week has been higher than normal, with most days over 100 cards studied and a peak of over 200.
For this year-end challenge, I'll go for a steady 200 cards a day, so 1000 on day 5 and 2000 on day 10.
I'm also studying Korean quite intensively, so this will be quite a fun challenge.

works@Lingvist

I'm in too, learning Russian from English! I've been doing 40 cards a day on average the past two weeks (typing cyrillic takes time!), but I'll try double it to 80 a day.

admins

@Ave

I don't know if you tried this, and I might be slow to cop onto something that's really obvious to everyone else 😝 , but it really cut down on my typos and helped my response time in the webapp — I spent less time hunting around and trying to remember the keys. I set my Russian keyboard to phonetic, then practice on the webapp with the Lingvist keyboard in my view so if my phonetic keyboard memory isn't that great, it likely helps by sneaking a peek at the Lingvist keyboard to help me orientate myself.

#tips

works@Lingvist

@Jen aha, that's quite a clever workaround. I'm learning on my phone though, with the proper Russian keyboard being the only input option. I just tested out the built in speech recognition on iOS, that speeds up entry quite a bit too ;)

OK I'm in since my avg cards is currently zero, I'll go for infinite improvement: 50/day, learning Spanish from English. :)

admins

@Ave ooh nice hack. good pronunciation practice as well!

Learning English from Russian, committing for 150 cards/day, so it would be + 750 till Day 5 and +1500 till day 10.

I'm signing up for 30 only because 25 was my original goal and even that has been hard to hit especially around the holidays plus I'm splitting time between this and another method. If I can stick with it until the end of the year, for me that would be amazing. Learning Spanish from English.

Hope it's not too late, I'll join. Doing French from English, and I'll start with 150 cards a day and add 15 more every day, so that by day 10 I'll have done a total of 2175 cards.
Good luck to everyone participating!

last edited by magnrjrcn917

I'm learning french from english and I'm new here (not new to french). My stats are about 200 cards a day. I want to either keep that up or increase to 250 a day. I really love this website and I wish Portuguese was on here. But maybe I could start learning Spanish next year? I'm fluent in Russian ( half russian) and told my Mum who teaches Russian about this site so she can share with her students :D

Looks like your connection to The 2016 Year End Challenge! was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.